at Hoogoorddreef 56E, 1101BE Amsterdam, the Netherlands. In some cases, ChargePoint is a controller together with
its partners (a so-called joint controller).
Please read this Policy carefully to understand our practices regarding your personal data and how we collect,
process and transfer it. If you have any questions about this Policy or how we handle your personal data, please
email our data protection officer at email@example.com.
ChargePoint publishes it here, unless otherwise noted.
- Information ChargePoint processes about you
ChargePoint may collect the following
information from you:
- When you register an account with us and access the ChargePoint Network, we collect your: full name,
username, password, title, email address, telephone number, postal code, country, location, ChargePoint
card number, user identification, user differentiator, and the last four digits, and in some cases the
first four digits, of your credit card number or information about other means of payment (collectively,
- When you register an account with us or anytime thereafter, we may process additional information that
you provide to us at your sole discretion, like Driver tips, station images, photos uploaded, your full
address or information about your vehicle (e.g., make, model, colour, etc.), to provide you with Service
notifications and your membership account information, (collectively, “Optional Account
- When you use our Service, we process information about how you use the Service, including: your
ChargePoint charging station location, charging station name, charging duration, energy consumed, power
cycle patterns, current, voltage (“Session Data”)
- When a ChargePoint charging station is installed and operated at your premises, we collect your and the
station owner’s contact name, phone number, email address and physical address (collectively,
- When you use ChargePoint’s social media features to communicate with other users of the Service or
upload a photo of the station, we collect your username and other information like charging station name
and charging station location, (collectively, “Social Media Data”). ChargePoint may use
Social Media Data for marketing and promotional purposes, as described below;
- When you use the ChargePoint Network, but you are not a customer of ChargePoint, (e.g., you are Customer
of a third-party network provider that has a roaming agreement with ChargePoint either directly or
through a “Clearinghouse”, a hub for technical integration with multiple roaming
partners), we will collect the following information about you (“Roaming Data”).
Roaming Data includes: the charging session’s date, start time, end time, duration, identification
number, energy dispensed, charging port identification number, total fees associated with each charging
session, pricing policy applied, and either an Access Card Identification Number or an EV Contract ID.
You will have access to the ChargePoint Network and the data will be formatted and delivered according
to the specifications described in the OCPI, OCPH or other protocols agreed to between ChargePoint and
the other network or Clearinghouse;
- If you sign up for the Service, use the Service, or send an email or other communication to ChargePoint
(e.g., phone call, text, push notification, etc.), we may retain your contact information and those
communications (“Communication Data”). Communication Data is the communication between
the Driver and ChargePoint for purposes of customer support, marketing and billing;
- If you own or operate a ChargePoint station (a “Site Host”) we retain data about the
station owner’s contact details, and if relevant, your affiliation or association to a company
account (“Site Host Data”);
- When you visit our Website, we collect the following data: IP address, date and day of access request,
pages viewed, time zone difference to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), the standard HTTP-header information,
the time spent on each page of our Website, links you have clicked on our Website, the page you visit
before and after you come to our Website, browser type, operating system, language and version of
browser software (“Website Data”);
- When you use our application, we collect the following data: IP address, date and day of access request,
pages viewed, time zone difference to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), mobile device location, the standard
HTTP-header information, the time spent on each App page, the geolocation of your mobile phone, links
you have clicked on our Website, browser type, operating system, language and version of browser
software (“App Data”);
- We may process information you provide through online surveys and polls (“Survey Data”),
provided that participation in these surveys or polls is entirely voluntary and you may easily decline
- Drivers provide their full name, login credentials (e.g., username/password, a secret question and
answer), contact information (e.g., email address, phone number, mailing address), vehicle information
(optional), and optional information through the “Connections” feature as may be
required by a Site Host. The Connections feature allows Site Hosts to control which Drivers receive
benefits (e.g., access, preferential pricing) to their stations. If a Site Host chooses to elect the
Connections feature, the Site Host may ask the drivers for additional information to verify their
identity to access the benefits. ChargePoint does not monitor or control the additional personal
information that the Site Host can request from a Driver.
- We may process information you provide in the context of a business relationship with ChargePoint in the
capacity of a customer, vendor or partner. This information may include your first name, last name,
contact details such as phone number and email address and notes and correspondence related to the
transaction (“Business Relationship Data”)
- How ChargePoint uses your personal data and for what purposes
ChargePoint may use the
personal data which we collect about you for the following purposes:
- ChargePoint uses your Account Data, Optional Account Data and Session Data to:
- process your application to create an account with ChargePoint;
- provide our Service to you including information, products, and services you request from us
that enable you to access our charging stations network;
- process payment or reimbursement of fees, also if you are the beneficiary of a charging
arrangement with a Site Host or provider such as employer or leasing company (“Provider”);
- notify you of changes to our Website or Service;
- ChargePoint uses your Installation Data to install a charging station at your premises (including
making appointments and providing follow-up service);
- ChargePoint uses your Session Data to:
- manage and administer your account, including to distinguish between multiple vehicles or users
under a single account, and for information regarding charging sessions (e.g., duration, energy
consumption, station owner and station data);
- ChargePoint uses your Account Data, Optional Account Data, Site Host Data and Session Data to:
- manage and respond to any inquiries, correspondence, concerns or complaints you have sent to
- otherwise communicate with you as a customer or user regarding the use of our Website or
- ChargePoint uses your Social Media Data to:
- enable you to communicate with other users, like providing other users and Site Hosts
information through Driver tips;
- promote and market ChargePoint products and services.
The legal basis for the processing described under 1-5 of your personal data is Art. 6 (1) (b) GDPR: we
do this to perform our agreement with you under the terms of the Driver Agreement and, if applicable,
the Master Services and Subscription Agreement—an agreement between ChargePoint and a Site Host
that governs the terms of the ChargePoint Network services.
- ChargePoint uses your Communication Data (1) to provide the ChargePoint Service and (2) to the extent we
are obligated to retain communication with you under the applicable laws (including tax, financial, or
other governmental regulations). Regarding the former, the legal basis for this processing of your
personal data is Art. 6 (1) (b) GDPR: we do this to perform our agreement with you. Regarding the
latter, we are justified to the retain the data under Art. 6 (1) (c) GDPR: we do this to comply with a
- The legal basis for the processing of data described below is Art. 6 (1) (f) GDPR: the so-called
legitimate interest-basis. The purposes described in this Section reflect corresponding legitimate
interests of ChargePoint, and the processing set forth herein is necessary for these purposes.
ChargePoint processes Website Data and App Data to:
- analyse the Website’s or the App’s use to improve them;
- assist with customer service requests and accessibility; and,
- keep our Website or App secure and operational.
ChargePoint processes your Account Data, Optional Account Data, Site Host Data, Session Data and
- safeguard the security of our systems and the Service;
- analyse and compile information on Service use patterns;
- perform billing and customer support purposes;
- provide value added services, promotions and pricing.
- Personal data we only process on the basis of your consent:
- ChargePoint may use your Account Data, Optional Account Data and Session Data to provide you
information about our products, services, sweepstakes, or promotions or information from our
partners that may interest you, but we will only do so if you gave us permission. Please see the
“Marketing” section below for further information.
- We process Survey Data to carry out online surveys and polls, but only if you gave us
- We may also use pseudonymized information and data from the Survey Data to (1) improve the
(2) for ChargePoint’s marketing purposes where you have provided express consent.
- We process your data in these cases on the basis of your consent (Art. 6 (1) a) GDPR). You may
your consent at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Joint controllership
ChargePoint not only offers services directly to drivers; it also offers services to Site Hosts and Providers
Site Hosts and Providers have access to certain features on the ChargePoint Network for billing and pricing
This means that if you are a beneficiary of a charging arrangement with a Site Host or Providers, for example
your employer or a leasing company has agreed to cover the cost of your charging session, this Site Host or
has access to your Session and in some cased to your Account Data. With regard to the processing of such Session
Data and Account Data, ChargePoint considers itself a joint controller together with such Site Host or Provider.
Site Host or Provider.
ChargePoint has published the joint controller agreement which is generally concluded with Site Hosts or other
Providers including the essential points at URL.
e-tags (together referred to as “cookies”, unless otherwise stated) to provide users an
user experience in using the Website.
- What is a Cookie? A cookie is a small data file that is placed on your computer or mobile
device by your web
browser. It is a tool that stores information about website visits, recognizes you and your preferences each
time you visit the Website, and ensures website functionality and enables us to provide the Service which
customers request. A cookie file can contain information (e.g., a user ID) that the site uses to track the
you have visited, but the only personal data a cookie can contain is information you supply yourself. A
cannot read data off of your hard disk or read cookie files other sites created. Some parts of the Website
usefulness to our users and (2) the Website navigational structure’s effectiveness in helping users
that information. ChargePoint does not correlate this information with data about individual users, nor does
share this information or sell it to any third-party.
- Can I stop a Cookie from being placed on my Web Browser? When you first visit our Website,
we ask you to consent
This also applies if your browser settings are set up as ‘Do Not Track’.
- You may encounter cookies from our third-party service providers (e.g., Google Analytics, Google
AdWords, Marketo, Facebook, LinkedIn and Fullstory) that we have allowed on our Website to assist us
with various aspects of our Website operations and services. For a full list of the cookies we use,
their duration and the type of cookies please see below. You also may encounter cookies from third
parties on certain pages of the websites that we do not control and have not authorized. For
you view a web page posted as a link from our Website, there may be a cookie placed by that web
remembering your log-in status and viewing preferences from a previous use of our Website, for when
later return to the Website.
- We use various types of cookies, including: session cookies, persistent cookies, local shared
pixels, gifs and other tracking technologies, such as third-party tags, session and persistent
technologies, first and third-party cookies. Cookies can be persistent by remaining on your computer
until you delete them or cookies can be based on your browsing session where they delete once you
your browser. First-party cookies are used and controlled by us to provide services on the Website.
to: provide you the
Service you have requested, enhance our Website’s performance, or analyse how users use our Website.
- Strictly necessary cookies: these are essential to enable you to move around the Website and use its
features. Without these cookies, the Services you have requested cannot be provided.
- Performance cookies: these cookies are used to improve how our Website works. They collect
about how users use our Website (e.g., which pages users visit most often, and if users get error
messages from web pages). All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore
- Functionality cookies: these cookies allow us to remember what choices you make (e.g., your user
language or the region you are in) to provide enhanced, more personal features. The information
cookies collect may be anonymised. These cookies cannot track your browsing activity on other
- Advertising and marketing cookies: these cookies are used to: send you advertising and
material tailored to you and your interests, limit the number of times you see an advertisement, and
help measure advertising campaigns’ effectiveness. These cookies are usually placed by
networks with the website operator’s permission. These cookies remember that you have visited
website and this information is shared with other organisations like advertisers.
regularly so that you are aware of any changes.
- Third-party cookies
The ChargePoint Website uses Google Analytics to collect information about how users use it. The information
cookie generated about your use of the Website will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the
States. Your IP address will be partially used within the United Kingdom or European Economic Area if it is
other parties. Only in exceptional cases will the full IP address be transferred to a Google server in the
States, and then shortened so it is only partially used there. The IP-anonymization is active on this
Google will use this information on behalf of the Website operator for the purpose of analysing your Website
compiling reports on Website activity for Website operators and providing them other services relating to
activity and internet usage. The IP address that your browser conveys within the scope of Google Analytics
settings on your browser. Please note, however, that if you do this you may not be able to use the full
can also opt-out from being tracked by Google Analytics in the future by downloading and installing Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on for your
Alternatively, you can opt-out from being tracked by Google Analytics in the future by clicking on the
ChargePoint also uses a variety of functional, marketing and analytical cookies to enhance your Website
– for a full list please refer to Attachment 1 (“List of Cookies”) to this policy.
Functional cookies ensure that our Website functions correctly. These cookies facilitate the operation and
the functions of the web pages. For example, we store your language settings in functional cookies.
With analytical cookies we collect statistics about how our Website is used with the help of third parties.
example, we collect and store when and for how long you visited or used the Website.
Similar to analytical cookies, we work with third parties to place marketing cookies on our Website. We do
that we can make you the most relevant offers based on your online surfing and searching behaviour. With
marketing cookies we also track of which ads you have seen.
- How to manage the cookies we use. You can control and block the cookies used by the Website
by modifying the
settings in your browser or on your device that allow you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. You
also adjust your settings so that your browser blocks all cookies or only cookies from third parties.You can
also delete cookies that have already been placed. However, please note that if you use your browser or
settings to block all cookies you may not be able to access all or parts of our Website. For more
about how cookies can be managed and deleted please visit
described in this Section reflect the legitimate interests of ChargePoint, and the processing set forth
is necessary for these purposes. The legal basis for the processing of this data is Art. 6 (1) (f) GDPR.
The use of some cookies, personal data like email address, IP address, etc. may be processed. If and inasmuch as personal data is processed, the legal basis for processing that data is your consent, expressed through choosing the opt-in option when you first visit(ed) our Website, and, consequently, Art. 6 (1) (a) GDPR. You may withdraw your consent at any time by managing or deleting cookies.
- Recipients, or categories of recipients, of personal data
We generally do not share your personal data other than to comply with our obligations. The following categories of
recipients may receive the following type of data as described in section 1 above:
- Cooperation partners – for example when we offer services together with a 3rd party: Account,
Optional Account, Session, Installation, Roaming, Communication, Site Host, Survey, Business Relationship
- IT service providers – for example when we use 3rd party software tools: Account, Optional
Account, Session, Installation, Roaming, Communication, Site Host, Website, Survey, Business Relationship
- Call centres – for example when providing customer support: Account, Session, Installation, Roaming,
Communication, Site Host, Business Relationship
- Chargepoint operators (CPOs) – for example if we provide invoicing and billing services to CPO: Account,
Session, Installation, Business Relationship
- Marketing service providers – for example in cases where we use 3rd parties for marketing
campaigns: Account, Optional Account, Session, Installation, Social Media, Communication, Site Host, Website,
Survey, Business Relationship
- Consultancies – for example if we employ consultants to create market studies: Account, Optional Account,
Session, Installation, Social Media, Roaming, Communication, Site Host, Website, Survey, Business Relationship
- Collection agencies and law firms – for example when collecting unpaid invoices: Account, Optional
Account, Session, Installation, Social Media, Roaming, Communication, Site Host, Website, Survey, Business
- File and data storage disposal services – for example if we ask 3rd parties to delete files or
data: Account, Optional Account, Session, Installation, Social Media, Roaming, Communication, Site Host,
Website, Survey, Business Relationship
In addition we provide personal data to 3rd parties such as government or regulatory authorities where we
have a legal obligation to do so.
Except as stated above, we will not disclose your personal data to any third parties for any other purposes unless
(1) we have your consent or (2) we otherwise have the legal basis or obligation to do so in an individual case.
- Security Measures
- How we protect your personal data
ChargePoint has security measures in place to protect your personal data under our control. To help protect the
personal data we collect through the Website or Service, ChargePoint uses industry-standard and secure server
software that encrypts the information you input before it is sent to us. In addition, ChargePoint uses standard
industry practice to protect personal data against unauthorized access. For more information on ChargePoint’s
security measures, please email email@example.com for
information on how to obtain a copy of our Security White Paper.
While ChargePoint takes reasonable precautions against possible security breaches of its Website, no website or
Internet transmission is completely secure and we cannot guarantee that unauthorized access, hacking, data loss, or
other breaches will never occur. We are unable to guarantee the security of your personal data while it is being
transmitted to our Website or stored in our systems and any transmission is at your own risk.
- How you can keep your personal data secure
You should take steps to keep your personal data safe (including your password) and to log out of your account after
use. Where we have provided you, or you have chosen, a password which enables you to access certain parts of
ChargePoint’s Website, or a ChargePoint RFID Card to access charge stations, you are responsible for keeping
your password and ChargePoint RFID Card confidential. You must not share these with anyone or store them in a way
that may allow a third party to access them. If that happens, you agree to report it immediately to firstname.lastname@example.org. ChargePoint cannot be held
responsible for your failure to keep your password or ChargePoint RFID Card secure.
You should update your password periodically to help reduce the risk of unauthorized access to your account with us.
When you do, you should strengthen your password with the combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers,
punctuation and other symbols.
- Transfer of personal data to third countries
ChargePoint is a global company which operates its Website and Service through servers located in several countries.
If you select a country in Europe as your country of residence, your personal data is hosted on servers within the
European Union only.
We may have to grant access to your personal data, (including your name, full address, email address, telephone
number, security question and information about your vehicle including your license number and the make, model,
colour of your vehicle), however, to ChargePoint, Inc. (our parent company) in the United States for ChargePoint and
to our employees in India, to provide you with our support services or to troubleshoot any issues to improve our
In addition, we will transfer certain data (customer service data, pseudonymized session data) to ChargePoint, Inc.
in the United States and to our employees in India, to allow ChargePoint, Inc. to develop and improve further our
products and services for users, which may include pseudonymized information coupled with session data (e.g., length
of charge, location of charge, amount of energy received and fee).
Further, ChargePoint Inc. and our employees in India may also need to access pseudonymized information for financial
accounting and analytical purposes, and we will grant such access accordingly. Such analytical purposes shall
include, but is not limited to, usage patterns of the ChargePoint charging station network, to inform product
development, safety features, sales strategy, customer service, support and maintenance.
Transfers to ChargePoint, Inc. and to our employees in India are based on the appropriate Standard Contractual
Clauses approved by the European Commission. You may ask for further information about our transfer safeguards by
sending an email to email@example.com
If any such access is granted or data is transferred, it will be done through a secure network.
- Links to Third Party Websites
This Website may contain links to third-party sites. Access to any other websites linked to the ChargePoint Website
is at the user’s own risk, and ChargePoint is not responsible for the accuracy or reliability of any
information, data, opinions, advice or statements made on these websites. ChargePoint provides these links merely as
a convenience and the inclusion of such links does not imply any kind of endorsement. If you provide any third-party
with your personal data, we recommend that you review their privacy policies as ChargePoint does not control how
they collect, process and transfer your data.
- We may also use your Account Data to send you advertising and marketing-related information (e.g.,
newsletters and events) from ChargePoint. Such direct marketing has its legal basis under Art. 6 (1) (f)
GDPR, and our legitimate interest is an interest in directly marketing our products to you as a
ChargePoint customer. If you have an account with us, we may email you such marketing and promotion
offers based on your account activity and information collected from Cookies.
In addition, we may ask you for your express consent in certain marketing activities.
In any case, you may at any time unsubscribe by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of
each marketing communication or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may be also invited to receive advertisements from ChargePoint’s partners and, provided you have given
your consent, you may receive marketing communications from our partners. These offers from other businesses may
require you to provide information to them if you choose to accept their offers. You should remember that these
offers from other businesses are made by the relevant businesses themselves and not by ChargePoint. You should
always be sure to read the specific terms of service and privacy policies of these third-party businesses before
providing any information to them so that you can understand their intended uses for your information. If you
have consented, ChargePoint may receive information from these businesses regarding your response to their
offers so that ChargePoint may better tailor your user experience.
Please note that where you opt out of, and unsubscribe from, receiving marketing communications, we may still send
you certain communications relating to your use of the Service (e.g., service announcements, notices about new
features or information on the Service, administrative messages and communications regarding your account).
- Account Termination
- ChargePoint may keep data related to you for seven (7) years, the legal basis for processing this data
being Art. 6 (1) (c) GDPR.
- Users can request to correct and delete their account by contacting Customer Service. Such requests are
typically dealt with within two (2) business days. If you want to stop using your account, it will
initially be deactivated. We save your information in case you later decide to restore your account. You
will be able to restore your account within 30 days. After the expiration of 30 days, your account and
information will be removed and deleted. The legal basis for our retaining your data in this event is
Art. 6 (1) (f) GDPR.
- Period for which the personal data will be stored
In principle, we will store your personal data only as long as necessary for purposes for which the data were
collected or otherwise processed. In particular, this means:
- General use of our Website and the Service
We generally retain your personal information for as long as is necessary for the performance of the contract between
you and us and to comply with our legal obligations. In certain jurisdictions, you can request to have all your
personal information deleted entirely.
- For contractual purposes
For contractual purposes, we retain all Account Data for as long as our contractual agreement is not terminated.
After this period, we will retain your information for additional time in order to be able to make claims resulting
from our contractual relationship or defend ourselves against such claims. In addition, Section 7 applies to data
which we obliged to retain under statute.
- Data processed on the basis of your consent
We process the corresponding data until you withdraw your consent.
- Your Rights
- If the respective requirements in the GDPR are met, the GDPR grants you certain rights as a data
- 15 GDPR – Right of access: You have the right to request from us confirmation as to whether or not
personal data concerning you are being processed, and, where that is the case, access to the personal data and
- 16 GDPR – Right to rectification: You have the right to request from us the rectification of inaccurate
personal data concerning you. Taking into account the purposes of the processing, you shall have the right to
have incomplete personal data completed, including by means of providing a supplementary statement.
- 17 GDPR – Right to erasure: You have the right to request from us the erasure of personal data concerning
you without undue delay.
- 18 GDPR – Right to restriction of processing: You have the right to request from us the restriction of
- 20 GDPR – Right to data portability: You have the right to request to receive certain personal data
concerning you, which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and
you have the right to request to transmit that data to another controller without hindrance from us. You also
have the right to request the personal data transmitted directly from us to another controller, where
- 77 GDPR – Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority: Without prejudice to any other
administrative or judicial remedy, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in
particular in the country of your habitual residence, place of work or place of the alleged infringement if you
consider that the processing of personal data relating to you infringes the GDPR. For the Netherlands, the
supervisory authority is the Autoriteit Persoonsgegevens. You may file a complaint here. For the UK,
the regulator is the Information Commissioner’s Office
- Right to object and to withdraw your consent.
In addition to the rights mentioned above, you have also the right to object to certain processing and the right to
withdraw your consent, where processing is based on such.
- 21 GDPR – Right to object
You have the right to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, at any time to processing of personal
data concerning you, which is based on legitimate interests or for the performance of a task carried out in the
public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller
In such case, we shall no longer process the personal data unless we demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for
the processing, which override your interests, rights and freedoms or where the processing is necessary for the
establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
Where personal data are processed for direct marketing purposes, you shall have the right to object at any time to
processing of personal data for such marketing, which includes profiling to the extent that it is related to such
If you wish to object to any processing, please send us a message in writing to ChargePoint at the address detailed
above, or email at email@example.com.
- Right to withdraw consent, Art. 7 par. 3 GDPR.
Where the processing is based on your informed consent, you have the right to withdraw consent at any time, without
affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal. Therefore, you may send us a message
in writing to ChargePoint at the address detailed above, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your obligation to provide us with personal data.
You have no statutory or contractual obligation to provide us with any personal data. However, depending upon the
activity, some of the information we may ask you to provide is identified as mandatory (because we need it in order
to provide the requested Service). If you do not provide the mandatory data with respect to a particular Service,
you will not be able to use that Service.
- Existence of automated decision-making, including profiling.
We do not use automated decision-making, including profiling, which produces legal effects concerning you or
similarly affects you significantly.
- Contact Us
You can contact us and our data protection officer by email at email@example.com
or write to us at: ChargePoint, Attn: Customer Service, ChargePoint Network (Netherlands) B.V., Hoogoorddreef 56E,
1101BE Amsterdam, Netherlands.